10 x 10 Rules for Safe Dating
Safety Tips While on a Date
This crime prevention section is the summary of a 2 part section dedicated to Safety While on a Date.
Dating is a method of finding companionship with someone with whom you feel physically and emotionally safe. Dating is a time of novelty, excitement and infatuation, but it can be dangerous if your path intersects with a sexual predator or abusive intimate partner.
Though these sections are written from a heterosexual perspective, bi-sexual and homosexual individuals may also benefit by better avoiding involvement with same-gender abusive personalities who can also engage in sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking.
Crimes within relationships occur more frequently than crimes committed by strangers and can be just as psychologically and physically devastating.
DO’s and DON’Ts for Safe Dating Practices
While on a date it is important to consider both good safety strategies and precautions to avoid unsafe behaviors and prevent crimes within relationships.
Safety tips while dating is divided in half that includes ten proactive strategies, and ten reactive precautions.
DO’s for Safe Dating Strategies
Ten DO’ s for safer dating involve proactive safeguards that help prevent date rape and avoid involvement with an abusive personality type. These dating strategies also help identify acquaintance rapist behaviors (and the date rapist), and the traits of an abusive personality. Prevent crimes within relationships while on a date with the following good safety strategies and precautions:
Ten Proactive Safety Strategies While on a Date
- Be decisive and sincere regarding your sexual comfort level when dating.
- During initial dates meet and remain in public places.
- Watch your date’s reactions for changes in demeanor and inattentiveness.
- Find out more about your date.
- Pay attention to what is happening around you.
- Be cautious of a sudden change in plans.
- Break away from an uncomfortable situation.
- Be aware of set ups for sexual assault and exploitation.
- Introduce your date to different friends and family, and ask for their feedback.
- Assess his actions in between dates.
Click here for Part 1: Ten STRATEGIES While on a Date.
DON’Ts for Safe Dating Precautions
Ten DON’Ts for safer dating involve reactive safeguards for preventing date rape. These precautions provide techniques or counter measures against date rapist tactics.
Ten Reactive Safety Precautions While on a Date:
- Don’t compete with other women when on a date.
- Don’t text or talk on the phone when on a date.
- Don’t disclose too much personal information when first dating.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended.
- Don’t go to an isolated location.
- Don’t rely on pepper spray and other gadgets or weapons for self-defense.
- Don’t go home with him, or invite him inside your home.
- Don’t violate your values and ground rules.
- Don’t have sex before you are ready.
- Don’t stay in a situation where you feel uncomfortable; it only gets worse.
Click here for Part 2: Ten PRECAUTIONS While on a Date.
Knowing safe dating strategies and precautions makes dating more relaxing, and can aid in avoiding uncomfortable situations.
Combining information from our safe dating series with a Basic Model Mugging self-defense course provides a comprehensive approach to personal safety and empowerment for more rewarding experiences in life.
Click on the highlighted words for more information about dating safety topics.
Safe Dating Communication
Precautions Before a Date
Acquaintance Rapist Behaviors
Abusive Personality Behaviors
Dating Safety – 10 x 10 Rules for Safe Dating
Safety Strategies While on a Date
Safety Precautions While on a Date
Crime Prevention Updates
Join our Contact List or Like Us on Facebook to be notified of the next crime prevention post for various safety tips and crime prevention strategies in the following crime safety categories:
Awareness for Crime Prevention
Like us on Facebook